The United Arab Emirates (UAE) is an important economic hub in the Middle East. It consists of seven states, each headed by an emir. A president and a prime minister preside over the country.Capital City: Abu DhabiMajor Language: ArabicMajor Religion: Islam, although it is fairly tolerant of other cultures and beliefsNational Symbol: The falcon Although the United State is 118 times larger in area, the UAE holds some world records of interest:
- The Burj Khalifa, with 163 floors, in Dubai is the tallest man-made structure in the world.
- The J W Marriott Marquis Dubai is the world’s tallest hotel.
- Dubai Mall is the largest shopping mall in the world.
- Dubai Miracle Garden is the world's largest natural flower garden.
- You can’t outrun Dubai police because they drive cars like Lamborghini, Ferrari and Bentley.
- Gold bars are dispensed from ATMs.
- Out of a population of 9.4 million, eighty-seven percent of residents are foreigners, consisting of people from 200 nationalities.
- The UAE has 42 million date palm trees.
- In UAE, domestic violence (wife beating) is not illegal if the beating leaves no visible marks/injuries on the victim.
- Before oil was discovered in 1950, fishing and pearls brought in the most income.
- As a TV and media center, the UAE attracts large international companies such as Sony, CNN, Fox, and Reuters. However, there are strong regulations and censorship to control media content.
- The literacy rate is 93%.
- Arabic is the official language.
Sources: weforum.org; UAE Facts; cia.gov